[Ceilidhsoc] Sheffield Folk Festival

Sheffield University Ceilidh Society ceilidh.soc at shef.ac.uk
Sun Oct 16 14:59:24 BST 2005

Now hear ye, hear ye, one and all...

Hoping everyone is well. I have here some good news to share with you all,
which has come to me from my good friend, Dr Owain Lewis of Crookes via
Birmingham and many points inbetween. Knowing that Dr Lewis is of
reputable character and flowing auburn hair, I have deemed is acceptable
to pass on this joyous news.

The news runs, as follows:

The Sheffield Folk Festival will bring a weekend of
ceilidhs, concerts, sessions and workshops to our doorstep.

Line up at a glance: Martin Simpson, Whapweasel with
Martyn Harvey, Artisan, Trinculo with Nic Garside,
Vertical Expression with Rhodri Davies, John Tams and
Barry Coope, Cloudstreet, Keith Donnelly, Minnie
Moosika, Crosscurrent, Dulzaina plus loads more...

Not bad, eh? There's more:

The weekend will have two fantastic ceilidhs: The excellent Whapweasel
(played intro ceilidh) with the enigmatic Martyn Harvey calling on Friday
28th October at Kelham Island Great Hall and friends of
Ceilidhsoc the lovely Trinculo with Sheffield based caller Nic Garside on
Saturday 29th October at the Blind Institute.

The festival will also have a Contra dance with up-and coming local band
(and Ceilidhsoc regulars) Vertical Expression with contra calling super
star Rhodri Davies from 1pm - 4pm on Saturday 29th followed by a relaxed
early evening French/European dance with Dulzaina led by dancer
extrodinaire Graham Knapp.

There's also loads of concerts, sessions, workshops, singarounds, late
night extras and more.... all the details can be found at:
www.sheffieldfolkfestival.org.

Tickets are available now (and also on the door at
most events). Season/Dance tickets offer the best value for money
(allowing access to all events).

Blimey! Am I hearing you right? That sounds like too much...Look out!
There's more!

We are also still looking for a number of stewards to
help out over the festival weekend. Stewarding is good fun and a very
rewarding experience. To steward at the festival you need to be over 18
and of a smiley disposition :) In return for around 8 hours work
(spread over three days) you will get a full weekend season ticket - we'll
also endeavour to make sure you get to all the stuff you want to see/do;
and you also get to wear a shiny yellow jacket :)

If you're interested in helping out with stewarding
this year please reply to owainlewis at yahoo.co.uk with your contact details.

That's right kids, don't reply to this email if you want to steward -
contact Dr Lewis direct at his address. Thank y'all.

So that's something great to look forward to. I went last year, and it was
off the proverbial hinges. This year is going to be better. Check it out
at sheffieldfolkfestival.org

More soon, love to you all,

Gideon xxx