[Ceilidhsoc] A grand night out...or two...

Sheffield University Ceilidh Society ceilidh.soc at shef.ac.uk
Tue Sep 27 12:54:21 BST 2005

Good afternoon everyone,

A big warm welcome to all of our new members, I hope that you enjoyed
Saturday's ceilidh, and are suitably recovered from all that
dancing/settling into uni if you are a new student.

We have a number of activities this week that I wanted to tell/remind you
about. These are chances to get to know the society a bit more, find out
more about what we do, and get more involved in our activities.

So first up is our first social, tonight in the Interval Cafe Bar from
about 9 o'clock. This is a chance to meet up with some members of the
committee, and general society members, have a drink and a chat. If you
want to find out more about Ceilidhsoc, about folky stuff in Sheffield or
beyond, then this is the perfect opportunity.

But what about the music itself, I hear you cry? Well, I was coming to
that. This coming Wednesday, that's tomorrow, why not come and try your
hand at playing a few tunes in our newly revamped Beginners Music Workshop
and Session. The workshop is designed to help people learn some of the
tunes that are played at Ceildihs and at the sessions. It is intended for
people who are new to folk music or not confident enough to play in
sessions yet. Basic knowledge of your instrument is helpful, but no
experience of folk music is required! There are also some tune books
available for purchase for you to take away and practice in your own time
(while stocks last).

And directly following that, we have the first of our new Ceilidhsoc
sessions. The regular Ceilidhsoc session is upstairs at the Red Deer pub
on Pitt St (off Mappin St near the Blind Institute) every Wednesday. Note
the new day and new venue! Musicians and non-musicians are all welcome.
The session is a great opportunity for those new and old members of the
society to get together to chat, play music and swap tunes. The new venue
will be familiar to most of you as being the local for most of the
ceilidhs, so we know they are friendly and have a good selection of beers!

So I hope to see you all down there.

Queries? Need directions? Check out the site (www.ceilidhsoc.org), or
email me at gideon at ceilidhsoc.org, and we'll see what we can do for you.

Social - tonight, Session and workshop - tomorrow.

See you soon,

Gideon xx