[Ceilidhsoc] Ceilidhsoc AGM minutes

Sheffield University Ceilidh Society ceilidh.soc at shef.ac.uk
Sat Apr 1 19:40:30 BST 2006

Hi all,

This is what went down at the recent AGM.

Sheffield University Ceilidh Society Annual General Meeting
Pennines Meeting Room
University of Sheffield Students Union
Wednesday March 29
Start 7.15pm
End 7.57pm

Attendees

Gideon Thomas (05-06 President, 05-06 Secretary)
Alley York (05-06 Music Officer)
Pete Baily
James Andow
Bob Morgan
Sarah Clarke (05-06 Treasurer)
Cait Leach
Ben Reid (05-06 Website Officer)

Apologies:

Emily Rockett (05-06 Front of House Officer)

The meeting was opened by the President, who welcomed everyone, and ran
through the order of the meeting (which is reflected in these minutes).

The first item on the agenda was the President's report.
It has been, in the main, another successful year for Ceilidhsoc. We
started off with the Intro ceilidh, with Whapweasel at the Blind
Institute. We also hosted RANDOM in February. This was a great event, with
a great band who should be booked again.
Most of the ceilidhs this year have been at the Blind Institute, but this
may change very soon. There is a possibility of using Hallam for some
events, and we are looking at St Philips and various other venues.
We have four more ceilidhs coming up this year, including Trinculo at a
venue to be determined, on April 28th.
We organised a coach to IVFDF in Cambridge, and that was a success,
although we will need to get more publicity for next year's event, which
is in Edinburgh. It was also stated that IVFDF 2008 will be in Sheffield.
We will be having a meeting to discuss this very soon.
The Ceilidhsoc session has moved venue this year, to the Red Deer, where
we are welcome and feel settled. The session still needs more pushing, and
we need to get more people to go.
The President concluded by thanking all those who have helped out this
year, and reminded the new committee to ask the old committee for help
with anything they needed.

The Treasurer then addressed the meeting. It was noted that it has been a
good year for Ceilidhsoc from a financial point of view, and the society
has not had to worry about not having any money. Copies of a basic summary
of the accounts of the society were distributed, and explained.
The largest new expenditure this year has been the money spent on the hire
of the Red Deer room for the session - 300 pounds so far - but this has
been covered with takings from the ceilidhs.
It was explained that the costs for hiring of the ceilidh venue have been
based on the figures for the Blind Institute, and may change in the
future, depending on the venue(s) used.
We have money assigned for spending on equipment that has not been spent
yet, and Tshirts for 05/06 have not been printed yet.

The next section was for other committee members' comments. Alley noted
that the beginners workshops have increased in number at the Red Deer.
This will hopefully continue in the future. Alley also pointed out that
the beginners workshop does not have to be the sole responsibility of the
music offer Others are welcome to lead the workshop, Alley felt like doing
it this past year, but that is not the 'rule'.

The 'open space' followed. This was an opportunity for the participants at
the meeting to discuss any issues or concerns that they have related to
the society. Everyone at the meeting had many good ideas for things that
the society can do to improve its fortunes:

*the society needs to reach out to new people. The socials that were
trailed early this year didn't work, but we need to keep mindful of new
ideas to get more people involved.
*We need to carry on with pre-ceilidh workshops (such as sound). We are
too reliant on old members, and need to improve the skills of new and
active members. Another workshop we should consider is beginners
dance/introduction to ceilidh dance
*Publicity is another concern. A priority for the new committee is the
posterboard in the Students Union.
*Prospective members of the committee raised the idea of having Ceilidhsoc
hooded sweatshirts (replete with CSoc designs), and this was agreed to be
a great idea.
*Alley mentioned again that the new committee *must* help each other out,
and be jointly responsible for the running of the ceilidhs.
*Bob, with Ben, is to update the Photos section of the Ceilidhsoc website.

The next section of the meeting was the election of the 2006/2007
Ceilidhsoc committee. The current president discussed the roles in the
order below, and the election results are as follows:

The roles of Front of House Manager and Equipment Officer were discussed,
and Alley York and Pete Baily were subsequently elected unanimously for
the roles, respectively.

The role of Music Officer was discussed, and Cait Leach and Lucy Nelson
were elected unanimously, to be joint-Music Officers.

The role of the Publicity Officer was discussed, and Alley York registered
her interest in this role, but withdrew that interest. Subsequently, a
prepared statement was read out on behalf of Penny Wiltshire, who was
elected unanimously.

Sarah Clarke had previously expressed her interest in continuing as
Treasurer, and was elected unanimously to continue this role.

The role of Secretary was discussed, and Bob Morgan was elected with one
abstention. Cait Leach then forwarded a motion that Bob Morgan hold all
responsibilities of Secretary, but (former Secretary) Gideon Thomas
continue to send ceilidhsoc-announce emails. Cait commented that the
former Secretary's emails were 'funny, and brought light to the world'.
This motion was agreed to be minuted and discussed further in the near
future.

The role of Vice-President was discussed, and James Andow was elected to
the role with two0 abstentions. James very kindly has agreed to assist
with other  responsibilities above and beyond the role.

The role of President was then discussed, but no one expressed an interest
in being considered for the role. As a result, Gideon Thomas asked to be
considered to continue in the role, and was elected unanimously. It was
noted however, that the continuing President must delegate
responsibilities to the new committee, to the Secretary, the Publicity
Officer, the Vice President and the whole committee.

The President concluded the meeting by thanking all those who attended,
and  welcoming the new committee.

Meeting ended 7.57pm.