[Ceilidhsoc] Roll up! Roll up! Read all about it...

Sheffield University Ceilidh Society ceilidh.soc at shef.ac.uk
Sun Oct 2 16:47:15 BST 2005

Hello one and all,

Hoping that you are all well, and getting up to all sorts. This email is
to remind you of what we have coming up for you this week. It's a lot, so
I will try and break it down for you, chronological-style (that means in
the order it's gonna come, like)...

So first up we have the second of our socials. A chance to hang up, chat,
catch up and generally have a laugh. As last week, we are going to meet up
in the Interval at around 9pm ish, but as that particular venue does get
quite jam-packed, we thought we'd mosey on over to the Frog and Parrott on
Division Street, as that might actually afford us the chance to talk,
rather than to shout. And we can catch up with the lovely Chris 'n' Sue,
as well...

Following on from that, why don't you all come and continue the success of
the new and improved Ceilidhsoc session. We had a whole lot of fun last
week, I do urge everyone to come and check it out. Here's how it breaks
down: from 8pm onwards, we have a beginners music workshop, organised by
the lovely Alley. Alley will be running regular workshops in the Red Deer
before the session helping people learn some of the tunes that are played
at Ceildihs and at the Red House sessions. It is intended for people who
are new to folk music or not confident enough to play in sessions yet.
Basic knowledge of your instrument is helpful, but no experience of folk
music is required! There are also some tune books available for purchase
for you to take away and practice in your own time (while stocks last).

And then directly after that, its the session! The regular Ceilidhsoc
session is upstairs at the Red Deer pub on Pitt St (off Mappin St near the
Blind Institute) every Wednesday. Note the new day and new venue!
Musicians and non-musicians are all welcome. The sossion is a great
opportunity for those new and old members of the society to get together
to chat, play music and swap tunes. The new venue will be familiar to most
of you as being the local for most of the ceilidhs, so we know they are
friendly and have a good selection of beers!

Everyone is most welcome to both of these events, which take place at the
Red Deer pub (http://www.ceilidhsoc.org/map.html). We respectfully ask
that if anyone would like to smoke, they do this at the bar, and not
upstairs in the session room. Thank you.

And then next Friday (the 7th), it's time for another ceilidh! Our second
ceilidh is at the normal time of 8.30pm, at the regular venue, the Royal
Society for the Blind Institute, Mappin Street, and features one of our
amazing Ceilidhsoc scratch bands, plus the calling lawman, Sheriff John
Brown. Ceilidhsoc ceilidhs are £2.00 for members before 9pm and £3.00
members after 9pm (or 50p off with a flyer). However, you can register to
be a member for £3.00 when you arrive and you then get your first ceilidh
(that one!) free, and you also get lots of lovely emails from us to tell
you when the next ceilidhs are.

So I hope to see you at one, two, or all of the above! Any queries,
contact me at ceilidh.soc at shef.ac.uk, and we'll fix you right up.

See you soon,

Ever your humble secretary,

Gideon xxx